Article Image Alt Text

Dawgs start quick in finale win over Temple


Cove Leader-Press


The Copperas Cove Bulldawgs (1-8) closed out the season playing the Temple Wildcats (1-8) at home tonight. 

It was Senior Night and the Bulldawgs introduced the players who are moving on next year prior to kickoff. 

The Bulldawgs went on to win a close match 29 - 37.

Copperas Cove began their first drive from their own 30-yard line. Micah Casson hooked up with Trishstin Glass for a 70-yard catch and run for a touchdown on the first play from scrimmage. Christian Luna added the kick for extra point, with Cove leading 0 – 7 only 12 seconds into the game.

In the ensuing drive, the Wildcats were at 3rd and 9 from their own 35-yard line. James Marshall intercepted the pass and ran for a touchdown. Copperas Cove led 0 – 13 early in the 1st quarter.

Temple began their next drive on their own 37-yard line. They were forced to punt without getting a first down. Copperas Cove took over on their own 42-yard line but was forced to punt again, and then Temple recovered on their own 5-yard line. 

The Temple offense managed to generate some yards on their next drive. The Wildcats went for it on 4th and 1 from the Cove 37-yard line and failed to convert. The Bulldawgs took over on downs.

Temple intercepted a long pass on the Temple 20-yard line and ran back 69 yards to the Cove 11-yard line. The Wildcats punched it in on the next play narrowing the score to 7 – 13.

Due to a holding penalty on the kickoff, Cove began their next drive on their own 9-yard line. The Bulldawgs could not generate any momentum and had to punt. Temple took over on their own 45-yard line. A 55-yard touchdown run was brought back due to an offensive holding call. After several penalties the Wildcats had to punt on 4th and 26 to end the first quarter. 

Copperas Cove attempted to get their offense back on track. An illegal man downfield penalty and subsequent 9-yard sack were insurmountable and the Bulldawgs had to punt. 

Teagan Facison intercepted the ball at the Cove 35-yard line and ran it back 30 yards to set up the Bulldawgs at the Temple 35-yard line. After an odd dead-ball foul which resulted in a loss of down by the Bulldawgs, they were 4th and 15 from the 28-yard line. Casson threw a pass being swarmed by defenders to Glass for a touchdown. Cove widened the lead to 7–20 with 6:28 left in the half.

The Temple Wildcats broke a 65-yard run to the Bulldawg 10-yard line, and Facison made the touchdown saving tackle. Two plays later the Temple quarterback ran for a 9-yard touchdown, and Copperas Cove led 14 – 20 with 5:12 left in the half.

On the next drive the Bulldawgs put together a 10-play, 69-yard drive culminating in a 22-yard touchdown throw from Casson to Pearce. Copperas Cove led 14 – 27 with 1:29 left in the half.

Temple failed to move the ball on their next drive and Facison intercepted a Hail Mary pass as time expired. The teams went into halftime Temple 14, Copperas Cove 27.

Temple started the first drive of the second half from their 25-yard line. The Wildcats managed to get one first down then the drive stalled, forcing a punt. 

The Bulldawgs started their drive with a 29-yard run by Malik Cuthbert. The drive stalled out and Luna completed a 30-yard field goal, extending the Copperas Cove lead to 14 – 30.

Temple was unable to generate much offense and was forced to punt back to Copperas Cove to start the 4th quarter. Cuthbert started the drive with a 13-yard run. Casson managed to corral an errant snap and run for an 8-yard gain to keep the drive going.  The Temple defense stopped the drive at midfield and Copperas Cove was forced to punt. Another excellent punt by Pearce pinned the Wildcats at their 8-yard line.

Penalties moved the Wildcats to their 47-yard line. The Wildcats continued the drive, capped off by a 22-yard touchdown pass. The 2-point conversion was successful. Copperas Cove led 22-30 with 8:25 left in the 4th quarter.

Nakeem Freeman scored on the next Copperas Cove drive with a 62-yard run, giving the Bulldawgs a 22 - 37 lead with 5:10 left in the game.

On the first play of the next drive the Wildcats scored on a 52-yard touchdown pass, narrowing the Cove lead to 29 – 37 with 4:46 remaining on the clock.

A muffed squib kick pinned the Bulldawgs at their own 8-yard line. A 75-yard run by Freeman moved the Bulldawgs to the Wildcat 18-yard line. Penalties pushed the Bulldawgs out of field goal range and turned the ball over on downs with 1:58 in the game.

The Wildcats moved the ball down the field efficiently, getting to the Bulldawg 15-yard line with 15 seconds remaining. The Bulldawg defense stepped up on three consecutive pass plays. Final score Temple 29, Copperas Cove 37.

Copperas Cove finished their season with a win at home, moving their final record to 2-8.

Copperas Cove Leader Press

2210 U.S. 190
Copperas Cove, TX 76522
Phone:(254) 547-4207